When we feed the hungry and hurting men of East Baltimore, we remember that we are continuing a tradition that began on this location in 1877, led by a local pastor, Rev. Edmund Didier. He built this facility to serve as a fellowship hall for the community, offering an alternative to the diversions available at the street corner and local tavern. The new building was named Carroll Hall to honor Baltimore’s first bishop, John Carroll. Pastor Didier’s vision included feeding the poor of Jonestown, out the back door.
The men come in the front door these days, and we have the privilege of watching their personal transformation. They change from being empty in body and spirit to becoming new creations in Christ. Meeting their physical needs tells them that we care, and allows them to hear the Message that awakens their souls!
Director of Food Services